3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hill Training

I was reminded last night about how much I really dislike hills. I know that hill running builds strength, which translates to faster times, and blah blah blah... doesn't make it any less painful! I have tried multiple ways of "tricking" myself into thinking that the hill I was climbing wasn't so awful: (1) only looking a few feet in front of me (the ground looks kind of flat this way), (2) dividing my mental image of the hill by 3 (heard one time that people over-estimate the size of hills by 3x), and my personal favorite (3) thinking of each actual step up the hill as a discrete elevation (points only become a hill when you connect them... beginning electronics might have been a little boring, this made the lecture on analog-to-digital conversion a bit more interesting). With respect to "racing" up hills, I also heard that you should make your move in the final 1/3 because this is where the majority of people slow down. For more on hill running technique, read Killer Hill Approaches. And, when things get really hard, just think:

"At least I'm not stuck in the office"
(someone was yelling this up Heartbreak Hill... made me smile).

2 comments:

  1. Coach's addendum:
    1) Pace - Unless you are using the hill to make a move during a race, keep your effort level the same as on the flats. Your pace will slow down as you head upward, but you should be able to get back up to pace quickly once over the top.
    2) Stay tall - Bending over at the waist compresses your chest (inhibits ability to breath fully) and taxes your lower back. A slight forward lean is okay, but do not bend at the waist.
    3) Stride - Shorten your stride. Drive with your arms and knees, but keep your turnover quick and light.
    4) Smile - you'd be surprised how much more your perspective of a hill changes if you smile. The hill doesn't get any shorter, but your outlook will improve greatly.
    Embrace the Hill. sk

    ReplyDelete