3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Thursday, March 22, 2012

Medicine and Running

You're sick... but not sick enough not to run. So, do you take medicine for your cold symptoms, or do you suck it up and deal with it? I have this debate with myself every time I'm sick. Taking a nasal decongestant makes it easier to breathe, but it also causes dehydration (and no matter how much water I drink, I always feel thirsty), which can make it harder to breathe. And, while not having a pounding headache makes running easier, the weird, disconnected feeling that's sometimes associated with taking nasal decongestants is less than optimal. It's the proverbial Catch 22...

So, I looked up alternatives to taking nasal decongestants... something that would have the benefits associated with taking medicine, but maybe not as many of the side effects:
  • Neti Pots (ok, I know some people swear by these, but the concept actually makes me feel more sick than just plain dealing with nasal congestion)
  • Vapor Rubs (given my affinity for Icy Hot, I can only imagine that no one would be able to stand within 10ft of me)
Here are some other recommendations I came across:
  • Make sure you stay hydrated and try to avoid alcohol and caffeine
  • Eat chicken soup
  • Load up on zinc and vitamin C
  • Gargle with salt water to temporarily relieve a sore throat
  • Try nasal drops and sprays to relieve congestion without causing dehydration (note: they can become addictive) 
  • Use a humidifier or breathe in steam

No comments:

Post a Comment