3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rising Mercury Part 3 - Gear

Personally, I think the most important piece of summer training gear is some means by which to carry water on long runs. There are many options available ranging from fuel belts to camelbacks to handheld water bottles (to really nice training partners). Personally, I am a fan of the handheld water bottles, as I cannot even manage to get a race belt with a mere piece of paper on it adjusted correctly, and I don't foresee myself running long enough to need a backpack full of water. The handheld water bottles are nice because they are not overly heavy, don't bounce up and down or hit your side constantly, and some have zippered pouches so you can carry keys and GUs. I got a 12oz Amphipod handheld for "free" with some race, and it works great as long as the cap is on securely and not caught on the wrap-around holder (it takes some amount of patience for me to correctly thread it, so mine often leaks). I also have a 10oz Nathan handheld, which I find less awkward to carry (it fits in my hand better) and not as finicky with respect to how one screws on the cap. However, the zippered pouch on the Amphipod is definitely nice... I found a forum discussion on the topic of handheld water bottles in case you're interested in what everyone else thinks is the best. However, for all you ultra-runners and non-spazes out there, here are reviews of fuel belts and hydration packs.
With respect to other gear, sunglasses, hats (like Gilligan's), and loose-fitting clothing made from technical fabrics round out the list. Honestly, the long/loose clothing suggestion rather surprised me, as I thought that it would become longer/clingier with sweat and would cause a problem with chaffing. But, I guess I was wrong, oh well. If you are ever trying to decide what to wear though, weather.com has "very helpful" what you should wear suggestions... it usually predicts shorts for the summer. And, while you're at it, don't forget to check out the health and beauty forecast... another of my "favorites".

No comments:

Post a Comment