3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Monday, December 26, 2011

Coooookies


Are those holiday cookies with their delicious frosting and colorful sprinkles looking extra special good to anyone else? While most of us aren't dieting, I did find this article interesting. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm hungry, I don't have visions of steak and potatoes dancing through my head. Rather, I have actually tried to figure out on long runs how many different forms of funfetti I could incorporate into one desert (in case you're wondering, I settled on a funfetti cookie icecream sandwich with funfetti icing on the top... mmmmmm). And, after reading the first page of that article (the second page is rather obvious... math never lies), I think I might have figured out why:

"But cookie monster problems arise when time-deprived or dieting athletes consume inadequate fuel..."

Ok, while I (and I'm presuming everyone else) does eat something before doing a long run, 2+ hrs of steady exercise is definitely going to throw you into a temporary calorie deficit. And, while energy gels help, you would have to be eating 1 approximately every mile after a while to break even (going off of the old rule of thumb that you burn ~100 calories/mile... this obviously must be adjusted based on weight and pace, but it's good enough to make my point). So, in addition to craving salt (which is a sign that you're electrolytes might be out of whack), it makes sense that endurance athletes crave sweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment