3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cross Training Personalities

I found this article interesting because it basically summed up my thoughts on cross-training. Basically, there are 4 types of cross-trainers:
  • Emergency- you get injured and can't run, so you turn to other activities to maintain fitness (and not go completely insane)
  • Supplemental- you do other things in addition to running... like swimming, cycling, yoga, etc.
  • Seasonal- you maybe turn to other activities (like cross country skiing in the winter) more than running during one season
  • Maximalist- you get injured a lot when you run too much, so you cross train regularly (basically as much as you run) 
So, while I want to be a "supplemental" cross-trainer because I really see the benefits in terms of core and upper body strength and injury-prevention in general. However, I tend to be more of an "emergency" cross-trainer (and usually vow to add it to my schedule after I tweak something). I have respect for the maximalist cross-trainers... in fact, I think these people actually wind up being strong runners (I'm thinking about some of the really good triathletes we train with). And seasonal cross-training seems interesting, a good way to get you re-focused on your running season after a good, mental break, but it's not that cold in NC!

1 comment:

  1. I'm emergency for sure (stretching as well as cross training) but I would like to be supplemental !

    ReplyDelete