3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Equivalencies

Energy gels bother some people's stomach... chomps and sports beans become rock solid in the cold... and, personally speaking, the thought of lemon-lime sports drinks makes me cringe for a solid month after a marathon! I mean, GU, PowerBar, etc. have made these rapid energy products so convenient, but have you ever wondered if you could substitute something else:
  • Sports Drinks: mix 8 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons honey, 1/3 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon lime juice in 24 ounces of water.
  • Gels: jelly packs (haha... I have always claimed that my favorite Jet Blackberry GU tastes like I'm eating a spoonful of jam)
  • Energy Chews: gum drops
  • Caffeinated Carbs: Starbuck's Doubleshot (although that seems like a horrible idea to me)
  • Energy Bars: Fig Newtons
I have some additions to this list. For gels, I know honey works, and part of me really wants to know if anyone has tried maple syrup (I mean, Cracker Barrel packages their sample bottles in such a convenient size). With regards to chews... I have definitely eaten fruit snacks (I mean, PowerBar chews are totally adult Gushers), jelly beans, and have debated candy corns. As for caffeinated carbs, well, 32oz of Cutting Edge energy drink should do the trick, right Dave?!?

2 comments:

  1. I have done the Gum drops on one of my longer runs. THEY WORK GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gum drops and gingerbread GU... sounds like a good winter training regimen!

    ReplyDelete