3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Thursday, June 30, 2011

Zero-Drop

I've been hearing this term used more and more to describe a new trend in running sneakers. And, while I know what it means (there is "no drop" from the heel of the sneaker to the toe... a.k.a the heel is not extra cushioned), I wasn't sure if there was a difference between this classification and truly minimalist sneakers. Turns out, there is, but minimalist sneakers often times are "zero-drop" (but the converse is not necessarily true). First off, in order to be considered zero-drop, the heel to toe differential cannot exceed 4mm (most sneakers are between 12-15mm, while the performance trainers / moderate minimalist models range between 4-10mm). The reason why these shoes are suddenly becoming more popular is that many "running injury experts" blame poor running form on the built-up heel of traditional running sneakers. By allowing you to run on a near-level platform, zero-drop models allow you to run more naturally. However, these sneakers do encourage fore/mid-foot striking, which may initially cause some calf/foot soreness or Achilles pain if you're not used to it. So, the experts stress transitioning gradually.

This article contains more in depth information, as well as a listing of some zero-drop sneakers. Personally, I agree with some of the arguments for minimalist sneakers, but I don't agree that they are right for everyone. I wound up with awful shin splints in high school after practicing too much in flats/spikes, and have always been afraid that I'd wind up really injured. When I was looking for a new racing sneaker in the spring (I had heard good things about the Saucony Kinvara), I began reading about the Saucony Mirage, and thought that this might be a good transition. I ran a few easy/short runs in them... raced a few times in them... and I LOVE them (however, I also know people who don't). Anyways, I hope this post clarifies the terminology.

No comments:

Post a Comment