3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Running Specific" XT

Never want to swim or jump on a bike, but know you should still cross-train? Here's an aqua-running plan I found online. One of the advantages of aqua-running is that it simulates "actual" running, making it ideal for "sneaking" cross training into you schedule. One of this disadvantages... it can get really, really boring! Therefore, if you can convince a friend, awesome! Or, listening to music might help distract you (one time I ran in the shallow end of a pool with my mp3 player tucked into the strap of my bathing suit... I felt ridiculous... but it made the time go by a lot faster... unfortunately, my calfs killed for the next 2 days). I have also tried counting strides (doing math is always fun), pretending I was in a microgravity environment and training for a manned mission to Mars (told you I was a dork), mixing things up (i.e., doing intervals like the article suggests and swimming in between sets)... if anyone has suggestions for making these workouts more "interesting", let us know! #20

2 comments:

  1. I knew a lady in high school who struggled with stress fractures. She switched to 45% water running, 45% elliptical, and 10% running, and still ran in the 16's for 5k (which is faster than she did before she got injured). When I got a stress fracture, she showed me her workouts. The one i did is similar to the one in the first column of the schedule in the article. I did 20x1:30 hard in deep water, with :30 of treading water between, plus WU and CD. She even would mix things up by changing the style of running. I think she had 5 exercises should would cycle through (high knee running, straight leg running, etc).

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool... well, not about the stress fracture but that aqua jogging works! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete