3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Monday, January 10, 2011

The Theme of the Week - XT

So one of my goals was to re-incorporate cross training into my schedule because, after reviewing my training log, I realized that I might have neglected to do so from October-ish through December-ish of last year. I think a lot of runners are guilty of "sorta kinda forgetting" this unless we're injured or just coming off of an injury. I mean, "preparing" for running is so easy, especially when your pressed for time. It's one of the things I love about the sport... you can run anywhere... just throw on some sneakers and go!

But, cross training is important, not only for NOT winding up injured, but also for strengthening the muscles that just plain running neglects. Cross training can even make you a better, stronger runner... a fact that I have to keep reminding myself so I actually do it! I have also found that I need a "concrete reason" to cross-train, or I won't for very long. Therefore, if you are as "forgetful" as me, I totally recommend doing a triathlon or other multi-sport event to keep you "motivated" to cross-train. Again, after reviewing my training log, I realized that I did a few triathlons in the spring and summer. This meant that I "had" to swim and bike... my cross-training became "real" training! Alternatively, you could plan to meet people for strength training, yoga, etc. to keep you honest... capitalize on the whole "group training" philosophy.

In any event, waiting until you're injured to begin cross-training isn't the best plan... believe me... I know... I've done it... it was absolute torture not to run! #20

No comments:

Post a Comment