3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

London Mascots

Have y'all seen Wenlock and Mandeville (the 2012 Summer Olympic mascots)? Seriously, what were they thinking?!? I think Mark Remy (the guy who writes the RW Daily posts for Runner's World) had it right... they do look like something out of a nightmare! In an attempt to find out just what these creatures were, I found the press release from the BBC. The video is actually somewhat interesting. It gives a historical perspective on Olympic mascots, and attempts to explain the current ones.

Since I was still kind of at a loss after watching it, I read the article. The most disturbing thing to me is the whole cyclops look, which I found out that the "single central eye" represents a "camera lens through which they'll see the world, and respond to it". While the creators of these mascots sure managed to pack in a whole bunch of symbolism, and the whole interactive animated thing is kind of cool, I'm just not sure that their focus groups were representative of the general public! #20

5 comments:

  1. I think the best description I read was "space alien sperm" or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.herbalinfusions.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/mike-wazowski1.jpg

    I knew those mascots looked familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol... when I first saw the mascots, I thought it was an advertisement for a new Monsters Inc. or something... I kept scrolling down the page, and then realized that those were the mascots!

    ReplyDelete