3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jack Daniel's Treadmill Running Formula

Ever think that running at a certain pace on a treadmill felt so much easier than in "real life"? You're right! Aside from the lack of wind, running at a 0% incline on a treadmill is more like running downhill than on a flat surface. In order to run the pace that you actually entered, a 1% incline is needed. And, have you ever tried to do a track workout on a treadmill? Prior to this winter, I had never done more than a tempo pace on one, and had visions of flying off the end if I over-estimated the pace that I could really do (it's a lot easier just to slow down in "real life"... a treadmill isn't as forgiving). Plus, it's a lot easier to make small adjustments in pace... trying to hit the "down" button repeatedly at the end of the interval when I could barely breathe sounded like torture (and a very bad idea... plus, the treadmill at my parent's house might have continued to accelerate one time when my dad was using it and I am honestly a bit afraid of the thing). So, I asked coach what to do and he suggested that I make adjustments in the incline and pace so I wouldn't kill myself. Luckily, Jack Daniels (the running coach) has this all worked out, and has made pace vs. incline charts freely available (here's an online calculator too)!  

I think this is the original study in case anyone was interested. And, if you're interested in treadmill training in general, this is probably the most comprehensive literature review of the subject that I've come across in my quick searches.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. One thing I have noticed from people around the world and Canada compression socks are an important part of staying injury free during running.

    ReplyDelete