3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chia Seeds

One day, we were talking about nutrition during longer runs and trying to decide if natural sources were better than synthetic sources (wow, we are dorks). Sean had recently read something about how chia seeds were a great source of energy (just not as good as PowerBar powergels, right?!?). Later, he pulled a water bottle out of his car with what looked like dirt in it. We all eyed it skeptically when he told us it was water with ground up chia seeds, lemon juice, and honey. Only after we watched him drink some of this "dirt" mixture did we agree to try it... and, you know, it wasn't half bad. I mean the texture was a little weird (the chia seeds gel when soaked in water), kind of like orange juice with a lot of pulp in it, but it pretty much tasted like tea to me. So, I decided to look up chia seeds and found this article describing 10 benefits of adding them to your diet. Runner's World also suggested adding chia seeds to yogurt. Hmmmm, do we dare venture back to Whole Foods?!?

Personally, I favor Keith's plan of suggesting a "TAF Locopop" flavor - powerbar fruit punch endurance beverage (to replace electrolytes, and I'm guessing this is red and not purple), chia seeds (high energy funfetti), and whey protein (muscle recovery). Of course, Dave's version might include Full Throttle! #20

2 comments:

  1. I've never had my own chia pet or chia head or whatnot, but they look cool on TV. I just eat the seeds and I swear, they help sooo much as far as energy and feeling good throughout the day goes. I honestly started feeling so much better on a day-to-day basis after I started putting them in my smoothies about a year ago. The one's I get are Chia Pure. Chia Seeds Right Now they are even buy 1
    get 1 free!

    ReplyDelete