3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Multi-Sport Racing Terminology

Ok, I'm used to running where "race naming convention" is simple. Other than the steeplechase, I can't think of many events that are named something more creative than the distance of the race itself. So, I was utterly confused last year when I started running with the team because y'all did stuff other than just run... I just wasn't sure what! I had heard of triathlons before, but as for the rest of the "athlons"... I don't know if anyone else finds all of these naming conventions confusing (and can't find races because you use the wrong prefix). So, here's what I've been able to figure out (and feel free to correct me):
  • Biathlon: usually refers to the winter sport event that involves cross-country skiing and rifle shooting (although it technically can refer to any event comprised of two sports).
  • Duathlon: run-bike-run events
  • Aquathon: swim-run events (aquathlon: run-swim-run events... although I don't know if this "addition of the letter 'l' convention" is strictly followed; biathle: run-swim "training" race)
  • Aqua-Velo: swim-bike events
  • Triathlon: swim-bike-run events
  • Modern Pentathlon: pistol shooting, fencing, swimming (200m), show jumping, and cross country run (3K)
Just thought I'd throw that last one in for the shear absurdity of it all. Seriously, (1) who ever thought of that combination and (2) when has fencing been considered a "modern" sport?!? #20

No comments:

Post a Comment