3 New Ways to Follow E3!

Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

______________________________

Come train with Raleigh Running Outfitters!

Spring Half Marathon Training Program

Or join us on one of our group runs!

Track workout from Bottle Revolution (Tues- 6:15PM)
Cary Store (Wed- 6PM) + Raleigh Store (Thurs- 6:15PM)


Raleigh Running Outfitters would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season.



Monday, July 19, 2010

Cold Therapy

Being that I have managed to give myself frostbite more than once in recent memory, I decided to look up how best to ice an injury. I came across this article, which basically describes the do's and don'ts of icing and reviews some "ice packs". This article gave similar, slightly more detailed advice. Although I do realize that I may have left the icepack on for a little longer than recommended, frostbite is a bit extreme. I had placed the ice pack directly on my leg... it said "safe for skin" afterall... but this may have been the problem (this article explicitly cautions against doing this, as well as describes some products for cold therapy).

With all of the "dangers" associated with ice packs (I'm just kidding about this... ice packs are fine if used correctly), I decided to look up icy-hot. And, as luck would have it, I found out I have been mis-using it too (turns out swimming and/or running in the heat and humidity with icy-hot is actually not a good idea... who would have known?!?). Guess I just need never to get hurt... but being that I almost just fell of my chair because I was sitting to close to the end, I don't suppose this is going to happen! #20

2 comments:

  1. hahaha... definitely just affixed the ice pack to my leg with a banana plug... don't think that is on the recommended uses either... I'm just breaking all the rules!

    ReplyDelete